Monday 27 February 2012

Megrahi accuses McAskill


Headline in today's Herald:

Megrahi: how MacAskill linked my release to dropping my appeal


The story states

"The authorised biography of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi reveals for the first time that the minister responsible for deciding whether he would return to Libya actively encouraged Megrahi to give up his case in the appeal court, telling a senior Libyan minister in a private meeting in Edinburgh that "it would be easier for him to grant compassionate release if I dropped my appeal".

Read more here......

There's a lot of stuff about how McAskill wanted to avoid further embarrassment to the Scottish Justice System if the appeal revealed some flaws in the process and in the conviction, but I think the SNP let Megrahi go just to stick two fingers up to the UK government.

They did it because they could and it annoyed the UK authorities... no other reason needed.

1 comment:

  1. I think Kenny with the highest moral intention wanted to put Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi into the hands of a 'Higher Power'.

    Which for a opportunistic atheist politician was a very moral thing to do...Sort of

    ReplyDelete